About EMDR Basic Training
EMDRIA has approved a number of EMDR trainers to provide Virtual EMDR Basic Trainings. Our virtual trainings will provide the curriculum required by EMDRIA through the Canvas Learning Management System and will provide a valuable learning experience. Participants will meet via Zoom and will need reliable and secure access to a computer or tablet device. We will guide you through this process to support a positive training experience.
- To be accepted for this training, you should be a mental health clinician or graduate student who has completed their core curriculum, you may be licensed for independent practice or on licensure track, and should have some experience in treating traumatized clients.
- Because this training includes an experiential component, you must be prepared to work on your own personal issues in practice sessions.
- You will be expected to begin the use of EMDR Therapy with at least two cases during the course of this training to be given a certificate of completion.
This training was extremely helpful. I left the course feeling excited to implement what I learned. I appreciated Carol’s thoroughness, approachability, and availability. The other practicum consultants were professional and helpful as well.
In this comprehensive 50+ hours of training, participants will learn how to bring EMDR Therapy to their clinical practices. Through lecture, demonstrations, case consultation, articles, videos and practice in a supportive environment, trainees will learn:
- Here are some of the things you’ll learn how to do:
- Basic EMDR therapy procedures, protocols and techniques including target development with the 8-phases and 3-Prong Protocol of EMDR Therapy
- Client selection criteria for the safe use of EMDR Therapywith a wide range of diagnostic categories including PTSD, mood disorders, and anxiety disorders. and how to use EMDR therapy to treat problems of daily life such as low self-esteem, relationship difficulties, loneliness, anxiety, depression and addictions
- Introduction into the full range of applications of EMDR Therapy when working with children, addiction, acute trauma and PTSD to longer-term EMDR therapy for challenging clinical cases like complex trauma and dissociative disorders
- Resource development
- Techniques for working with blocked processing and intense emotional reactions and effective case conceptualization
- Apply the underlying Adaptive Information Processing theory of EMDR Therapy and other theoretical, brain functioning, and research issues
- Assess the appropriateness of using EMDR Therapy with your patients
- Conceptualize a case from an EMDR Therapy and trauma viewpoint
- Integrate EMDR Therapy into a comprehensive treatment plan
- Develop skill in using all eight phases of the EMDR Therapy treatment method
- Apply the target sequencing plan
- Identify the three stage standard protocol
- Identify, select, and develop appropriate target issues for use with an EMDR Therapy protocol safeguards
- Identify soothing and grounding techniques
- Identify techniques to teach patients to tolerate and modulate affect
- Apply resource development and installation
- Apply responses to certain resistances
- Identify applications of EMDR Therapy to various patient problems
- Be aware of Identify clinician limitations
- Make use of on-going supervision and case consultation
- Between the first and second parts of the course, and in order to continue to the second part, each participant will participate in a total of 4-6 hours of consultation
- Identify special protocols to use with specific patient groups and specific patient problems
- Identify additional techniques to handle looping, resistance and other problems
- Identify therapeutic and cognitive interweaves
- Identify applications of EMDR Therapy to dissociative, Axis II, and other disorders
- Integrate EMDR Therapy into your current treatment approach
- Be further cognizant of Identify safety issues
- Consider legal, ethical issues
- Identify practitioner problems with the method
- Further practice with clients
- Continue to make use of on-going supervision and case consultation with Instructor and with peers
- Demonstrate proficiency in using the EMDR Therapy
“I really got a lot out of her self revealing and her wonderful handouts. She stuck to her handouts as she presented. She added some info, but I could follow and write in whatever extra she said that I wanted. She presented beautifully. She appeared confident, exceptionally competent and thorough. She also demonstrated how much she believes and enjoys her work with EMDR. If I were younger in this profession, I would do her training. She is a great salesperson for EMDR. And her presentation shows how hard she works for her clients and her trainees.” (2020 “Trauma is Stressful”)
EMDR Certification is NOT awarded with completion of Basic Training
This training is the beginning of the requirement for becoming EMDR Certified. Completing an EMDRIA approved EMDR Therapy Basic Training is the first requirement toward becoming EMDR Certified by EMDRIA, the EMDR professional organization. After completing an EMDRIA-Approved Basic Training in EMDR therapy you will receive a ‘Certificate of Completion.’
However, completing the Basic Training does not make the clinician certified in EMDR therapy. EMDRIA does offer a credential for a therapist to become an EMDR Certified Therapist. Ask your trainer for more information to begin the path to certification and see www.emdria.org.