Important Information about EMDR Therapy Basic Training
EMDRIA has approved a limited number of EMDR trainings to provide Virtual/Online Basic Trainings. Our virtual trainings will provide the same curriculum and valuable learning experiences we have provided in person in previous years. Those registering need to meet via Zoom with reliable and secure access to a computer or tablet device. We will guide you through this process to support a positive training experience.
In this comprehensive 50+ hours of training, participants will learn how to bring EMDR Therapy to their clinical practices. Through lecture, demonstrations and person to person practice in a supportive environment, trainees will learn:
- Protocols and procedures for using EMDR Therapy with a wide range of diagnostic categories including PTSD, mood disorders, and anxiety disorders.
- Target Development with the 8-phases and 3-Prong Protocol of EMDR Therapy
- Client selection criteria for the safe use of EMDR Therapy
- Techniques for working with blocked processing and intense emotional reactions
- Introduction into the use of EMDR Therapy when working with dissociation, children, and addiction
- Resource development
- Effective case conceptualization
All Basic EMDR Therapy trainings:
Learning objectives for the course:
- Learn the underlying Adaptive Information Processing theory of EMDR therapy and other theoretical brain functioning and research issues;
- Learn to assess the appropriateness of using EMDR therapy with your patients;
- Learn to integrate EMDR therapy in to a comprehensive treatment plan;
- Develop skills in using all eight phases of EMDR therapy; and
- Develop skills with complex cases with co-occurring conditions.
Days One through Three:
- Identify 3 components of the EMDR Approach designed to provide effective treatment with clients
- Describe 3 important existing research studies
- Name the 8 phases of EMDR therapy for comprehensive treatment and how to implement the phases with clients
- Identify the criteria with EMDR therapy to safely and effectively implement EMDR therapy with clients
- Describe 3 aspects of the AIP Model for effective case conceptualization and treatment planning
- Describe the criteria for client selection and how to apply to client cases
Days Four through Six:
- Describe 3 resources to help clients stay within the window of tolerance
- Describe protocols for closing down incomplete sessions
- Describe a treatment plan to choose and prioritize targets appropriate for EMDR
- Describe strategies for dealing with highly emotional responses
- Describe strategies for dealing with dissociative symptoms and phobias
- Describe strategies to treat more complex trauma-related disorders
Registration Information and Fees
1. Graduate student or Non-profit employee (minimum 30 hours per week employment) – $1200
+ 10 hours of group consultation – $250****
Total cost $1450
2. For-profit setting) $1400
+ 10 hours group consultation – $500****
Total cost $1900
* Participants may receive up to 40 total CEU hours. Social Work, and LPC CEUs have been applied for.
Special discounts or payment plans may be provided for those struggling with the financial ramifications of the pandemic. Contact Trainer to discuss.
**** Four hours of consultation will be required after Part One to attend Part Two of the Basic Training. An additional 6 hours after Part Two will be required to receive the EMDR Basic Training Certificate of Completion. (EMDRIA Approved Consultants or Consultants-in-training will be provided to participants. Consultation will be provided either face to face or by video conferencing)
** Required reading (not included in fees): Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy-Third Edition by Francine Shapiro
This EMDR Therapy training is available for therapists working in the non-profit sector, public sector agencies, for-profit agencies and those in private practice, as well as for graduate students enrolled in a Master’s or Doctorate level programs in the mental health field. These EMDR Basic Trainings have 3 separate training components; Part 1 and Part 2 are each three days in length, plus 10 hours of group consultation ***(held usually in 2 hours groups making a total of 5 groups). This core training in EMDR Therapy trains mental health clinicians in the standardized protocol for EMDR treatment and will meet all EMDR International Association’s (EMDRIA) requirements for basic training.
Tuition may be refunded, less a $100 administrative fee, for cancellations made up to two weeks prior to the first day of training. After two-weeks prior to the start of training, and after beginning the training, no refunds will be made. Registrants that partially attend the training, or do not complete the training will not receive a refund .
Registration forms for New Orleans trainings are available by emailing my assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org. Payments can be made by PayPal (email@example.com) or check or money order (payable to Carol Miles MSW, LCSW LLC). Registration is not complete until all forms have been submitted and payment has been made. You will receive confirmation of admission to the course.
Payment plans may be made based on individual need. Please contact Carol Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 985.893.1248. Admission to the program requires an initial payment. Payment must be received prior to admission. Full payment must be made prior to the final weekend. All consultation fees are separate from the training fees and paid directly to your consultant. Your trainer will schedule you with your consultant.
Prerequisite readings: To familiarize yourself with the Adaptive Information Processing Model prior to your training it is recommended that you read the chapters 2- 11 of Francine Shapiro’s book of Francine Shapiro’s book: “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, 3rd Edition” and read Francine Shapiro’s book “Getting past your past”. Please read chapters 1-9 prior to Part 1of EMDR Basic Principles and then complete the text after Part One.
Comments from Trainings:
You do speak so well and make it look completely effortless! Great presentation. Hope you got a lot of people interested in pursuing training in EMDR. I wanted to ask you if it would be OK if I used some of your handouts in handouts that I regularly develop for clients and I WOULD CREDIT YOU COMPLETELY!!! —–MS (2020 “Trauma is Stressful”)
I really got a lot out of her self revealing and her wonderful handouts. She stuck to her handouts as she presented. She added some info, but I could follow and write in whatever extra she said that I wanted. She presented beautifully. She appeared confident, exceptionally competent and thorough. She also demonstrated how much she believes and enjoys her work with EMDR. If I were younger in this profession, I would do her training. She is a great salesperson for EMDR. And her presentation shows how hard she works for her clients and her trainees.——-Anonymous Evaluation (2020 “Trauma is Stressful”)
Comments from the EMDR Basic Therapy Virtual Training 2020:
This was an amazing workshop. I think Carol adapted so well to the online platform. Even with technical issues that came up, Carol was quick to come up with solutions. Thank you!
Carol was very prepared to transfer this training to a virtual training. She planned ahead and anticipated any potential issues that could arise so it really flowed very well. It was really helpful to learn about the interweaves and adjustments to make when working with special populations. I really got a lot out of it and feel much more prepared to continue working with clients. I also enjoyed the zoom and canvas experience. It was a unique way to complete this training and was not at all disruptive to the process.
EMDR Certification is NOT awarded with completion of Basic Training
This training is the beginning of the requirement for becoming EMDR Certified. Completing an EMDRIA approved EMDR Therapy basic training is the first requirement toward becoming EMDR Certified by EMDRIA, the EMDR professional organization. After completing an EMDRIA approved basic training in EMDR therapy you will receive a documentation of completion: a ‘Certificate of Completion.’
However, completing the Basic Training does not make the clinician certified in EMDR therapy. EMDRIA does offer a credential for therapist to become an EMDR Certified Therapist. Ask your trainer for more information to begin the path to certification and see www.emdria.org.
Questions? For more information on EMDR Therapy Training, Contact Carol Miles email@example.com or call 985-893-1248 Or to register for a New Orleans training: Please request a registration packet by emailing my assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.