Join us for this live two-day EMDR Refresher Course
A Return to the Walk in the Park: Twists and Turns along the Path to Healing with EMDR Therapy
Instructors: Carol Miles, MSW, LCSW and Karen Alter-Reid, Ph.D.
Dates: July 29 and 30, 2022
Time: 9:00 AM CT – 4:30 PM CT
$350 (Use the coupon code EARLYBIRD20 to save 20% off the regular price if you register by June 29, 2022)
Those who have completed the full EMDR Basic Training course and who wish to practice, review, and build confidence.
If you are looking for a full review of the foundations of EMDR Therapy, you are in the right place. This course will help guide those who may have drifted away from their EMDR practice or did not get the Basic Training experience they had hoped for. If you are wanting to build confidence in your EMDR Therapy skills and refresh yourself on foundations and basics, this training is for you!
This course will review the Standard EMDR Protocol as it is currently taught and used as a comprehensive psychotherapy. Case conceptualization through the Adaptive Information Processing Model (AIP) as informing treatment planning will be reviewed and illustrated through case material. Case examples will be used throughout to delineate simple PTSD from complex trauma in order to clearly understand the various treatment options that could unfold at each stage of the 8 phases of treatment. Clinical choice points will be taught regarding how and when to develop a targeting treatment plan and how to choose your entry point for processing. More titrated procedures for processing trauma material will be discussed/taught and included in the treatment options.
The lectures will help therapists consider the following: how to assess current and past trauma, current relational stances, and developmental history; indicators for longer preparation stages with a host of additional, extended resources and tools; how to assist with greater affect regulation tailored to patient’s particular issue(s); building a treatment plan that is individually tailored and knowing when to modify that treatment plan if relevant issues emerge that require modification of the treatment plan.
Special attention will be spent on common mistakes and how to avoid them. Each day, time will be spent reviewing/teaching/practicing protocols and procedures that are useful to have in one’s back pocket for clinical use as needed such as: EMD (Shapiro, F., Loving Eyes procedures (Knipe, J.), Constant Installation of Present Safety (Knipe, J), and Complex Trauma Resourcing (Fisher, J). Clinical information described or viewed in the training is confidential and cannot be discussed or shared in any way or in any format.
- Review the AIP Model as the basis of EMDR therapy (technique vs. comprehensive psychotherapy) and as applicable to case conceptualization and treatment planning
- Review the Standard 3-prong protocol for use with simple case presentations
- Review the EMDR Targeting Plan to organize trauma processing
- Relate dual awareness to assessment of client readiness for EMDR processing
- Relate window of tolerance principles to assessment of client readiness for EMDR processing
- Review the Standard 3-prong protocol for use with complex PTSD
- Describe skills to resume blocked processing
- Identify and manage dissociative symptoms that arise spontaneously during processing.
- Learn a variety of newer interventions when clients are ‘stuck’ in old adaptational/defensive styles and without compassion for their traumatized selves.
- Review Back of the Head Scale
- Review CIPOS
- Review the AIP Model as applicable to case conceptualization and treatment planning
Registration fees include:
- Recorded Training (excludes some videos)
- Approved for 12 EMDRIA CEs
- 12 Professional CEs. The CE Company is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The CE Company maintains responsibility for this program and its content. The CE Company has co-sponsored this program to provide continuing education (CE) credit for Psychologists, Social Workers, Nurses, Professional Counselors, and Marriage & Family Therapists in the most states. Participants should always check with their state’s licensure board regarding the acceptance of APA CE credits. If you are seeking continuing education credit for a specialty not listed above, it is your responsibility to contact your licensing/certification board to determine program eligibility. Partial credit for attendance of individual sessions is not available.
Karen Alter-Reid, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist with specialties in first responder treatment and trans-generational trauma. She is a Regional EMDR Institute Trainer, EMDRIA Specialty Presenter and Senior EMDR Consultant and Trainer for the Integrative Trauma Program at the National Institute for the Psychotherapies in NYC. She has presented at the EMDRIA conference on the impact of trans-generational trauma, on her “Therapy for Therapists” program, and her clinical work following the Sandy Hook shooting. She also co-authored a chapter on The Trans-Generational Impact of Anti-Semitism in Mark Nickerson’s Cultural Competence and Healing Culturally Based Trauma with EMDR Therapy. Karen received EMDRIA’s 2014 Outstanding Contribution and Service Award as well as the 2016 Outstanding Regional Coordinator Award. She is in practice in Stamford, CT where she provides psychotherapy treatment and EMDR Consultation. Website: www.alter-reid.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Miles MSW, LCSW, specializes in individual psychotherapy. Among her areas of expertise are working with clients with eating disorders and trauma. She also provides training and consultation for therapists under her Three Rivers Training Center. A member of EMDRIA since 2008, Carol served as co-chair of the Conference Committee and chair of the University Special Interest Group. She founded the South Louisiana EMDR Network, stepping down as co-coordinator in 2022. In 2017 she was elected to serve on the EMDRIA Board of Directors, serving a terms as the President and Past-President. She was recently appointed to fulfill another term in 2022. Email: email@example.com
For More Information, email Carol or Karen.
Use the coupon code EARLYBIRD20 to save 20% off the regular price if you register by June 29, 2022.
A full refund may be granted if cancellation occurs 30 days prior to class. Up to 15 days prior to class, refund will be allowed with a $50 administrative fee. Less than 15 days prior to class, the trainee is not eligible for a refund.
All programs are held in facilities that accommodates mobility limitations consistent with ADA guidelines. Requests for accommodations for in person or virtual training can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit requests a minimum of 10 working days in advance.
Complaint and Grievance Procedure
The Three Rivers Training Center is committed to providing high quality educational programs to mental health professionals. Participant satisfaction is important to us. Feedback, questions, and concerns can be addressed to Carol Miles at email@example.com or by mail to: Three Rivers Training Center, 110 East 7th Avenue, Covington, LA 70433